OBS Studio plugins can help you add new features and functionalities to your stream setup, from imporving audio and video quality, to cool effects and transitions.
But you don’t want to use any plugin out there. Some are buggy, unstable, and can cause trouble. This is why we have made a list of the top 5 OBS studio plugins to elevate the production quality of your stream. We have only included tried and tested plugins from reputable sources.
If you want to learn more about streaming, check out more of our articles and guides below:
- How to Become a Streamer: The Ultimate Guide
- The 10 Best Cameras for Live Streaming in 2020
- OBS Studio Tutorial for Beginners
The Best OBS Studio Plugins
What the best OBS Studio plugin is for you will depend on what you need it to do. In the list below, we have tried to include as much variety as possible.
The first plugin on this list is developed by StreamElements and is primarily geared toward gaming and IRL live streaming.
OBS.live is an addon to OBS Studio that seamlessly integrates Twitch, Youtube Live, and Facebook Live features like your activity feed and chat. You also get a view count meter, alert management, and much more.
Despite all its features, this is a lightweight plugin that takes minimal resources to run, so you do not have to worry about it affecting stream quality.
OBS.live is a great alternative to Streamlabs OBS which is a standalone software. The advantage of using OBS.live over Streamlabs OBS is that you always get the new updates to OBS Studio.
You can learn more and download the plugin from StreamElements’s official site here.
- Great for gameplay streams
- Provides an alternative to Streamlabs OBS (SLOBS)
2 OBS NDI
This is a neat plugin that adds NewTek NDI™ integration into OBS Studio. In other words, this plugin provides video/audio input and output for OBS without a capture card using your network.
This allows you to use your phone as a webcam or connect a two PC setup without spending the money on a capture card.
But you have to remember that you are trading off some quality, as many have reported experiencing lag with a NDI connection. Nevertheless, OBS NDI is great alternative out there.
You can find the OBS NDI plugin here.
- Someone who wants to add another source in addition to the camera
- For people who don’t have a capture card.
Good audio quality is critical for a live stream. The OBS Studio VST plugins help you improve audio quality beyond what OBS Studio settings alone are capable of. We are not going to lie, the audio settings in OBS Studio already are pretty good, and will be sufficient for most situations, but the free ReaPlugs VST FX Suite plugin takes these to the next level.
Their plugins give you a full range of audio controls, from general noise clean up to mic controls for EQ, peaking, and filters that can improve the audio quality significantly.
The ReaPlugs VST FX Suite (obs studio vst plugins):
- ReaComp – Ultra-configurable compressor that far supperior to the one in OBS Studio.
- ReaXcomp – Unlimited band compressor.
- ReaDelay – An multi-tap delay, with no practical limit on tap count.
- ReaEQ – Unlimited band IIR based equalizer.
- ReaFIR – An FFT based dynamics processor.
- ReaGate – An ultra-configurable gate with sidechain filters and more controls than the one found in OBS Studio.
- ReaStream – Allows you to stream from host to host of audio or MIDI over a LAN segment.
- ReaJS – Realtime user-editable effects with compressors, delays, limiters, creative effects, loop samplers and more.
- ReaControlMIDI – MIDI controls in the VST format with full SysEx support.
You can download the ReaPlugs VST FX Suite from here.
- Improving Audio Quality
- Adding complex Audio Effects
This plugin developed by Xaymar adds several features to OBS Studio that can enhance the setup of your live stream significantly. It is also compatible with OBSelements.
The StreamFX plugin adds new filters, transitions, and sources to OBS Studio. They drastically improve what can be done in OBS already and adds really important features like Blur and 3D effects to your stream.
Below are some of the features and filters offered by the StreamFX plugin:
- 3D Transform – This filter allows you to move and rotate your source in 3D space. This is a very cool effect that can allow you to create some great looking scenes.
- Blur – You get several different types of blur effects you can use like Box, Gaussian, Dual Filtering. Additionally you get to choose how to apply the blur effect (Area, Directional, Rotating/Rolling, Zoom). This filter can allow you to add unique effects to your scene or blur unwanted content.
- Color Grading – You also get some great color grading controls that are much more advanced than those offered in OBS Studio at the moment.
- SDF Effects – Add an inner and outer glow or shadow to a source.
- Source Mirror – Dublicate the video and/or the audio of any source. Allows you to apply filters without affecting the original source.
- NIVIDA Face Tracking – Can automatically track and zoom in your face to keep it in frame. It is only compatible with NVIDIA RTX GPUs.
- And more…
Overall, this is a robust plugin that adds some really neat features to OBS that you can get a lot of use of.
You can find the plugin here.
- Enhancing your live stream visually
This OBS plugin gives you more control over each transition animation between scenes.
If you have a bunch of scenes, you might not want to use a single transition for everyone of them. The transition override matrix plugin allows you to specify what transition animation is activated for particular scenes. A very nice feature that can help your streams feel more polished.
You can get the plugin here.
- For making your stream feel more polished. Especially great for setups with many scenes.
Some Other Useful Plugins
These are some other plugins that add some smaller functionalities you might want for your stream. While they did not make it to the list above, we still can recommend them if you are looking to add some specific feature to your setup.
Closed Captioning OBS Plugin – Adds closed captioning(CC) via the Google Cloud Speech Recognition API directly in OBS Studio.
OBS Spotify Plugin – Shows current playlists and tracks from Spotify
OBS SoundCloud Plugin – Shows current playlists and tracks from SoundCloud
Spectralizer – This plugin allows you to add an audio visualizer to your scene in OBS Studio.
Before you go and download a bunch of plugins for OBS, let us share a word of caution.
Any plugin that adds new features and functionalities to OBS will inevitably take up more resources. When you have many plugins running on OBS at the same time, you run the risk of them affecting the quality of your stream.
The OBS Studio Plugins in this list above are some of the best when it comes to avoiding these issues, but you should still use them sparingly. Only install plugins that you know you will need.
After all, you should not get too hung up on the technical details. While production quality is important, and OBS plugins can add nice things to your stream, it is the human element viewers primarily return for.